In case you installed Visual Studio 2013 Preview onto a fresh machine (in my case Windows 8.1 Preview) and ran into one of the following problems when creating an App for SharePoint install the prerequisites mentioned below…
Problems on compiling the empty ASP.NET MVC (App for SharePoint template solution):
- The type or namespace name ‘SharePointContextFilter’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) …\Controllers\HomeController.cs
- The type or namespace name ‘SharePointContextFilterAttribute’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) …\Controllers\HomeController.cs
- The name ‘SharePointContextProvider’ does not exist in the current context …\Controllers\HomeController.cs
- The file “SharePointContext.cs” is missing in the root of your web application.
Installed the following prerequisites to solve the problem:
- Turn on “Windows Identity Foundation 3.5” in Windows Features
- Installed “Windows Identity Foundation 4.0 (sic) SDK” from MSDN
- Installed ASP.NET Web Tools Refresh for Visual Studio 2013 Preview
- Installed SharePoint 2013 Client Components SDK
- Run Visual Studio as Administrator!